Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Mother's Day Special: Lansky's Knishwich























This Mother's Day weekend, my Mom and I found ourselves in The Big Schityyy (cue Transatlantic accent) visiting my reclusive and unfortunately ailing Aunt Pat, who lives on the Upper West Side. She has lived there forever, in the same apartment she shared with my late Uncle Ray. He, an artist, and she, a curator, built a cozy bohemian world together from 1940 to 1991, when he passed. Then, that world became an island. We set out to make up for lost time and catch a glimpse of the past, a glimpse of what New York used to be. But first we needed to eat some lunch.

While in the neighborhood, I felt obliged and eager to visit Lansky's Old World Deli, located on Columbus between 70th and 71st. The classic Jewish deli was packed out the door with a bustling brunch crowd, but it was only a ten minute wait. We were walked to the back room which reminded me of an after hours lounge where Ol' Blue Eyes should strike up a tune. The efficient busser dropped off complimentary banana bread at our table. I gotta tell ya, the bottom was burnt to shit, but the top was outstanding. Who needs muffin bottoms, anyway? A rich yet airy whipped strawberry butter masked the charring. Nice way to kick things off. I was pumped about the Yelp Check-in deal: a-glass-a-Bud for $1. However, I learned they start pouring at 4:00pm and we arrived at 2:00. Instead, our server hooked up a brunch-time Bloody Mary for said $1. It ended up free of charge. Thank you, __________! And by the way, Lansky's offers a Bottomless Liquid Brunch, I repeat Bottomless Liquid Brunch on weekends. Do it. Do it.

I perused the extensive menu for a while and was tempted to "Hit The Jackpot," which is, in short, a little bit of everything from behind the counter weighing in around 4lbs. Lick your plate clean, win a t-shirt. Too much for today. I opted for the specialty "Knishwich." When in Rome. Sweet Baby Jesu...Yahweh! Look at that thing! (above) A classic potato knish serves as the "bread" -  cut it in half and absolutely smothered, open-face style. On one side, a hefty heap of melt-in-your mouth corned beef; on the other, incredibly savory pastrami. Both sides covered with coleslaw, Russian dressing and blanketed in Muenster. Served hot, melty, and delicious. A Kosher Dill would have been perfect on the side, but that didn't occur to me until I was already done. I was too swept up in the Knishwich whirlwind to remember. It was quite an archaeological excavation carving through this beautiful mass. A textural thrill-ride. A rewarding journey. Happy Mother's Day, Ma! Love ya


Lansky's Old World Deli
235 Columbus Avenue
NY, NY 10023
http://lanskysnyc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment